Performance Testing for a Very Large Scale Live Streaming Web Application
- Testing of the web application for one of the world's biggest sporting events.
- The application allows web users to see the live streaming of matches, highlights of matches, schedule of upcoming matches, etc.
- Application accessed by up to 300,000 users from multiple geographical locations during the peak time and expected the sudden spike of 100,000 users at the time of live matches.
- Performance testing of the application.
- Testing of the application behavior during the spike time.
- Fail over testing.
- Recommendations for the required server configuration to support the large user base.
- Stringent timelines.
- Simulating the behavior of 100,000+ concurrent users.
- Testing for users from specific geographical locations.
- Preparation of performance test strategy and test plan.
- Selection of Blazemeter performance testing tool based on the requirements.
- Preparation of load model and performance scripts based on the application key user scenarios.
- Script execution based on geographical location of the users.
- Simultaneous execution of load testing and spike testing as per the defined load model.
- Rigorous execution of fail over testing.
- Performance Testing – Average response time optimized to <1 (from 5 seconds).
- Fail-over Testing - Identified that the application takes more than 9 seconds to recover. Post recommended changes and optimization, application recovery time reduced to 3 seconds.
- Spike Testing - Discovered application failure in case of sudden spike of large number of users. Through application optimization and optimum server configuration, the application is able to handle the expected spike.